This is a super fast and easy mid-week recipe with almost no cleanup. It took about 20 minutes start to finish and used one pot and one bowl – doesn’t get much better than that. This recipe originally came from Smitten Kitchen, but I made a few changes. Here you go!
ingredients (serves 2)
1/2 lb whole wheat gemelli pasta
1 small lemon
1/2 lb asparagus
1/2 red bell pepper
sugar snap peas or broccoli
1 bunch spinach, rinsed
about 3 oz goat cheese (half of a 5.5 oz log)
2 tbsp olive oil
1. boil water in a big pot. add 1/2 tsp salt and the pasta to the boiling water.
2. prep your veggies. snap the hard ends off the asparagus by bending the stalk and letting it break naturally. then cut the asparagus stalks into thirds or quarters.
3. cut the bell pepper into strips, cut the stems off the spinach, and snap the hard ends off the peas. if you’re using broccoli, cut it into bite-sized pieces.
4. when the pasta has 3 minutes left to cook, add the asparagus, red pepper, peas and broccoli. 2 minutes later add the spinach.
5. when the spinach wilts, drain the whole pot, reserving about 1/2 c. of the cooking water.
5. in a large bowl, combine the goat cheese, a splash of pasta water (about 1/4 c), olive oil, zest of the lemon, and the juice of half the lemon.